Young Women’s Leadership Academy
At the Young Women’s Leadership Academy, students engage in a rigorous, college preparatory curriculum with the understanding that 100 percent of students will graduate prepared to enroll in and graduate from college and be active leaders in their community. Academic offerings, including Pre-AP and AP courses, boost students’ overall competitiveness and challenge them to engage in deeper learning experiences in and out of the classroom. Academic and personal growth are targeted equally, with leadership development, service learning, and healthy decision-making woven into students’ education. YWLA is committed to educating the whole child and in turn, developing the future leaders who will shape the world for the better.
Applicants participate in a holistic, rubric-based selection process to determine admission. As part of the application process, applicants must provide a copy of the most recent report card, a copy of the previous year’s report card, and a copy of recent reading/math STAAR or norm-referenced test results. Applicants must also provide the names and email addresses for two teachers for recommendations.
- 2015 National Blue Ribbon School with a 100% graduation rate
- San Antonio’s first all-girls public school in collaboration with the Young Women’s Preparatory Network
- Focus on math, science and technology, college preparation, and leadership
Advanced Placement (AP), AVID, Dual Credit, Gifted & Talented, Pre-AP, STEAM, Engineering, Robotics, Computer Science, Covey’s Habits, Leadership • IT, Computer Science and Programming • Art, Choir, Dance, Theatre • Special Education: PBIS
Audubon Society, Young Women’s Preparatory Network, The Magik Theatre, and Girls Inc. We also partner with local colleges and universities.
Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer, Volleyball • Science Club, Venturing Club, Spanish Club, Chicano Literature Club, Drama Club, Girls’ Giving Club, Gardening Club, ASL Club, Kindness Club, National Dance Honor Society, Photography Club, Technology Club, Tri-M National Music Honor Society, Middle School Robotics, High School Robotics, Yearbook Club, National Honor Society, National Junior Honor Society, Math Counts, Student Council, Journalism Club, Debate Club, Students Demand Action, National Junior Art Society, Science National Honor Society, National English Honor Society, Mu Alpha Theta, High School Drama Club, Girls Up, Young Poets Society, BIRDIE Pride, Transportation You, Medical Club, Gamma Sigma Girls, Academic Decathlon, National Art Honor Society, Women in Conservation, Fusion Club
Young Women’s Leadership Academy is hosting Parent Information Sessions from 6-7 PM at the school auditorium located on W. Huisache Ave.:
- Thursday, November 7th, 2019
- Thursday, November 14th, 2019
- Tuesday, December 3rd, 2019 (en español)
- Wednesday, December 18th, 2019
- Wednesday, January 15th, 2020
- Thursday, January 23rd, 2020 (en español)
- Monday, January 27th, 2020
The District is hosting Choice Information Sessions. Parents, come learn about the Choice Application Process and how to apply for the 2020-21 school year. Light refreshments will be served, and Spanish interpretation will be available. No RSVP is necessary. We hope to see you there!
- Tuesday, October 29, 2019 | 5-6 PM | Burnet Learning Center Cafeteria
- Wednesday, December 4, 2019 | 5-6 PM | Burnet Learning Center Cafeteria
- Thursday, January 23, 2020 | 5-6 PM | Burbank High School Testing Center
- Saturday, March 28, 2020 | 9-10 AM | Burnet Learning Center Cafeteria
- Monday, April 27, 2020 | 5-6 PM | Burnet Learning Center Cafeteria