Young Men’s Leadership Academy at Wheatley
The Young Men’s Leadership Academy at Wheatley is San Antonio’s first all-boys public school offering a model of education that is backed by research indicating that boys and girls learn differently. YMLA helps boys achieve their highest potential by setting high expectations and emphasizing character, leadership and discipline. Each day begins with a firm handshake and continues with a positive message of encouragement in a daily assembly. Our 21st-century school design fosters dialogue, promotes collaboration and encourages creativity. We build social-emotional awareness through reflective thinking practices and daily meditation sessions. We are preparing today’s learners to become tomorrow’s leaders.
- San Antonio’s first all-boys public school emphasizes character development and leadership skills
- Project-based learning requires students to apply their knowledge to real-world problems, providing hands-on exploration and investigation
- Instruction is tailored to the male learner and delivered in an environment that promotes a strong culture of brotherhood and camaraderie
Advanced Placement (AP), Pre-AP, Dual Credit, Gifted & Talented, • World Languages, Latin • Art, Choir, Theatre, Band • Special Education: GEC
Boy Scouts of America, Dojo Karate Academy, Gardopia Gardens • Boys and Girls Club, Greater San Antonio After-School All Stars Challenge
Basketball, Cross Country, Football, Soccer (middle school only), Track & Field • ROTC, LOTC (middle school only) • Academic Decathlon, Boy Scouts, Chess, Classic Society, Color Guard, Cyber Patriots Cybersecurity Team, Gardening Club, Karate, Robotics, Student Leadership Council, UIL
District Info Sessions:
San Antonio ISD is hosting the following virtual Live Q&A sessions on the SAISD Choice Schools & Programs Facebook page. Questions may be sent ahead of time by direct message through the Facebook page or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Participants will be able to post questions directly to the live chat during the Q&A session. Families are invited to view the informational video posted each morning prior to the session. For more information, visit the SAISD Choice Schools & Programs Events page on Facebook here.
- Tuesday, October 20, 2020 | 5 PM
- Wednesday, November 4, 2020 | 5 PM
- Wednesday, December 16, 2020 | 5 PM
- Thursday, January 21, 2021 | 5 PM
- Tuesday, February 16, 2021 | 5 PM
- Saturday, March 27, 2021 | 10 AM
- Tuesday, May 4, 2021 | 10 AM
School Info Sessions:
Young Men’s Leadership Academy is hosting the following virtual Parent Information Sessions. All sessions will have Spanish interpretation available. Contact the school directly with any questions. Use this Zoom link to join any session below | passcode: BestSchool
- Thursday, November 12, 2020 | 5:30 PM
- Thursday, November 19, 2020 | 5:30 PM *Spanish interpretation will be available at this session.
- Thursday, December 3, 2020 | 5:30 PM
- Thursday, December 17, 2020 | 5:30 PM
- Thursday, January 21, 2021 | 5:30 PM