Highlands P-TECH – Aerospace, Engineering, Manufacturing, Welding
Highlands High School is the premier school of the Southeast Side of San Antonio featuring strong academics, engaging career preparation, and award-winning student activities. We are a school with tremendous pride and a long legacy of success. Boasting top-3 performance on AP exams across all SAISD traditional schools and one of the quickest improvements in state accountability over the past 4 years, Highlands prides itself on serving and supporting every student who walks through our doors. Our 16 Master Teachers lead efforts in offering over 30 college credits for FREE to students in advanced courses such as AP, Dual Credit, and Dual Enrollment in the OnRamps program with UT Austin. Mighty Owls can join a number of successful extra-curricular programs including athletics, JROTC, National Honor Society, and an incredible fine arts program (brigade/dance/cheer, band, mariachi, choir, orchestra, art, and theatre art). Highlands High School is YOUR neighborhood school and we can’t wait to welcome you to the Owl Nation.
Introducing Highlands P-TECH, in partnership with St. Philip’s College, an early college high school combining technical courses with dual credit to provide students the opportunity to work toward an associate degree and industry-approved certifications in the areas of Aerospace, Engineering, Manufacturing and Welding. P-TECH stands for Pathways in Technology Early College High School, a national model developed to ensure students gain specific skills needed by employers in high growth industries. The key to our P-TECH is collaboration between the high school, higher education partner, and industry leaders. Students benefit from rigorous coursework and engaging work-based learning to prepare for high-wage, high-demand career areas and college programs identified in conjunction with local workforce development organizations.
All programs within the Highlands P-TECH will feature the following components.
- Preparation for STEM careers within the San Antonio region
- Access to dual credit courses and associate degrees at no cost to the student
- Development of technical skills identified by college and industry partners – for example robotics, measurement, shop tools, safety, electronics, machining, computer-aided drafting (CAD), etc.
- Development of professional skills (soft skills) identified by college and industry partners through work-based learning experiences such as field trips, guest speakers, internships, etc.
- Robust student support including a dedicated academic counselor, college advisor, work-based learning specialist, and participation in the AVID program.
There are 4 programs of study within the Highlands P-TECH pathway. Specific details on these programs, including 4-year plans and course crosswalks, are posted on the Highlands P-TECH website.
- Aerospace – Associate of Applied Science, Aircraft Technician Airframe. Focus on preparation for high-wage, high-demand careers in aerospace upon graduation.
- Engineering – Rigorous STEM Dual Credit with specialized courses in Engineering. Focus on preparation for entering a bachelor’s degree program in Engineering upon graduation.
- Manufacturing – Associate of Applied Science, Automated Industrial Processes. Focus on preparation for high-wage, high-demand careers in manufacturing upon graduation.
- Welding – Associate of Applied Science, Welder/Welding Technologist. Focus on preparation for high-wage, high-demand careers in welding industry upon graduation.
Dual Language is available at this campus for 9th grade.
- Higher Education Partner – St. Philip’s College in the Alamo Colleges District.
- Industry Partners – Formal partnerships will be announced soon, multiple industry partners in San Antonio have signed on to support the Highlands P-TECH. See P-TECH website for updates on our industry partners!
- Additional Partners – P-TECH students have the opportunity to join programs such as Upward Bound Math & Science, UT Outreach, and Communities in Schools.
- STEM-Related Activities: Architecture, Construction, & Engineering (ACE) Mentor Program, Air Force Association Cyber Patriot Team, FIRST Robotics, Go Green Environmental Club, JROTC, Mu Alpha Theta Math Honors Club
- Additional Activities: Academic Decathlon, Athletics, Art Club, Band, Book Club, Brigade Dance Team, Choir, Class Leadership & Student Council, Future Farmers of America (FFA), Gamma Sigma (Girl Scouts), Mariachi, Orchestra, Texas Association of Future Educators (TAFE), Theatre Arts, Yearbook
District Info Sessions:
San Antonio ISD is hosting the following virtual Live Q&A sessions on the SAISD Choice Schools & Programs Facebook page. Questions may be sent ahead of time by direct message through the Facebook page or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Participants will be able to post questions directly to the live chat during the Q&A session. Families are invited to view the informational video posted each morning prior to the session. For more information, visit the SAISD Choice Schools & Programs Events page on Facebook here.
- Tuesday, October 20, 2020 | 5 PM
- Wednesday, November 4, 2020 | 5 PM
- Wednesday, December 16, 2020 | 5 PM
- Thursday, January 21, 2021 | 5 PM
- Tuesday, February 16, 2021 | 5 PM
- Saturday, March 27, 2021 | 10 AM
- Tuesday, May 4, 2021 | 10 AM
School Info Sessions:
Highlands High School is hosting the following virtual Parent Information Sessions. All sessions will have Spanish interpretation available. Contact the school directly with any questions. Use this Zoom link to join any session below | passcode: STEMOWLS
- Wednesday, November 11, 2020 | 6-7 PM
- Tuesday, November 17, 2020 | 8:15-9:15 AM
- Wednesday, December 2, 2020 | 12-1 PM
- Tuesday, December 8, 2020 | 6-7 PM
- Wednesday, December 16, 2020 | 8:15-9:15 AM
- Tuesday, January 12, 2021 | 12-1 PM
- Wednesday, January 20, 2021 | 6-7 PM
- Tuesday, January 26, 2021 | 6-7 PM
- Wednesday, January 27, 2021 | 8:15-9:15 AM
- Thursday, January 28, 2021 | 12-1 PM